We interviewed Lisa Bonanno from the SPCA of Westchester so that we all could learn more about her. She is the SPCA’s development manager and she does amazing things in our community!
Where are you originally from?
- I grew up in Westchester, in SomersNY.
Where did you/do you go to school?
- I went to Somers, then went onto Quinnipiac University where I received my bachelors degree in Liberal Arts and then went onto to receive my Masters Degree from Fordham University in Communications.
How long have you been at the SPCA?
- 6 years.
Describe your role at the SPCA?
- I am in charge of our events (fundraising events and adoptions events) and public relations, as well as our larger rescue missions across the country!
What would you say is the most important impact that the Westchester SPCA has?
- 2 roles. We serve are crucial in the community since no other shelter takes either role on. We are in charge of ALL animal cruelty related enforcement and charges for the county. Our Humane Officers receive over 2,000 calls a year. If we seize an animal and charge someone for cruelty we are then responsible for the animal. We also offer low cost spay/neuter and vaccines to those on lower incomes so that lower income households can keep their animals in the home vs. surrendering them to a shelter during hard times.
At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
- I always have since I can remember. I did my GradSchool internship at the Bronx Zoo for the Wildlife Conservation Society which is how I knew I wanted to do communications in the animal welfare field.
List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
- Raisin (dog)
- Elsa (dog)
- Sunny (chicken)
- Casey (dog)
- Floppy (rabbit)
- Teddy (rabbit)
- Molly (dog)
- Pepper (dog)
- Lady (dog)
What kind of food do you feed your pets?
- Purina Healthy Weight Dog Chow
What is your favorite movie?
- Harry Potter
What kind of music do you like?
What was the last book that you read?
- The Dome, by Stephen King
What is your favorite TV show?
- King of Queens
Where was your last vacation?
- South Africa, last year
What is your favorite restaurant?
- The Barn in Pawlet,VT
Describe your perfect sandwich
- Anything with ham on it and mayo! (Wish I could say I’m Vegan since I work in Animal Welfare, but I’m not)
If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
Name your favorite sport’s team.
- NY Yankees