Sadly, of the 4.5 million people bitten by dogs each year, too many of them are children. But nobody wants to be a canine chew toy, so here are the best ways to stay off the menu:
- Never approach a strange dog, especially one that’s tied up or confined.
- Always assume a dog that doesn’t know you may see you as an intruder or as a threat.
- But don’t turn and run from one either; just stand still. Avoid direct eye contact.
- Take seriously the phrase “Let sleeping dogs lie.” That goes double for dogs that are eating or caring for their young.
- Always let a dog see and sniff you first before you pet it, and don’t play with it without adult supervision.
- If a dog does attack, feed him your coat. You can always get another coat.