The SPCA of Westchester was founded in 1883 by Ossining resident Mary Dusenberry after she observed horses being mercilessly whipped and beaten as they trudged up nearby hills to deliver heavy loads of coal. Together with caring friends, she obtained land on which to build the Society’s first home and established a fund to be used to prevent cruelty to animals. The SPCA is still located on the same spot, making it one of the oldest landholders in Briarcliff Manor.
Originally, the SPCA of Westchester was affiliated with the ASPCA of New York City, but became an independent organization in the 1920s. Today, the SPCA of Westchester is the only humane society in Westchester County empowered to enforce laws relating to animal cruelty. Despite this, the SPCA gets no federal, state, or county funds. So they rely solely on the financial support of people who care about the welfare of animals.
To learn more about the SPCA of Westchester, go to: www.spca914.org