Dr. Michael Henes received his DVM degree at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1968. After five years in clinical small animal practice, he conceived, built and opened the Croton Animal Hospital in June, 1973, where he has been a fixture ever since.
In recent years, he has devoted his non-veterinary hours to his love of photography, doing professional photo shoots of pets and their people. In 2005 Mike was chosen: “Best Pet Photographer,” by Westchester Magazine. His work has been displayed in various shows throughout Westchester and New York City.
Dr. Henes is a member of the AVMA, the NYS and Westchester/Rockland VMA as well as the AAHA and is an associate member of the American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology. His professional journal contributions include “Cardiac Manifestations of Lyme Disease in a Dog” published in VM/SAC.
Dr. Henes is a founding member and secretary of the executive board of the Veterinary Emergency Group (VEG) located in Greenburgh. He has served two terms on the Croton-Harmon school board and is past president of the Bramblebush homeowners association.
We’ve interviewed Dr. Henes so that we all could learn more about him and the amazing things that he has done in our community!
- Where are you originally from?
- Long Island, then Cornell, then Greenwich, CT, then New Rochelle & then Croton
- How long have you been at the Hospital?
- I build CAH in 1973!
- Where did you/do you go to school?
- Describe your role in the area pet community?
- I have provided hi-quality veterinary care for Croton and the surround areas for the past 40 years
- What would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had?
- Creating Croton Animal Hospital
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
- 5th Grade
- List your pets and names throughout the years:
- Lucky, Max, Leonard, David, Elizabeth, Joshua, Thurl, Jack, Bruce, Hannah, Zack, Jake, Harry, Reggie, Lola & Sophie
- What kind of food do you feed your pets?
- R/D dry & W/D wet for the dogs and store bought canned & dry for Lola
- What is your favorite movie?
- Silver Linings Playbook
- What kind of music do you like?
- All types
- What was the last book that you read?
- Billie Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk
- What is your favorite TV show?
- Where was your last vacation?
- San Andres Island, Columbia
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- The Gnarly Vine in New Rochelle & Whales Rib in Deerfield Beach, FL
- Describe your perfect sandwich
- Bacon, egg & cheese on a roll from Mini Deli
- If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
- Steven Spielberg
- Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting:
- Photography, therapy dog work, working for World Vets in 3rd world countries, biking